I’ve decided to keep my Maxima to 150k miles possibly more. How many do I have now? About 3k. I put on average 15k/year so that’s 10 years. The 2003 I had made it to 196k before the last owner killed the engine. There is a guy on one of the car forums with an 09 that has over 300k miles.
150k is the sweet spot for a couple reasons.
- It’s not high enough to the point that no one would consider buying it.
- It’s two cars. Basically on my normal historic schedule that’s two cars. That means less total cost than trading and getting another one.
- Still somewhat reliable with routine maintenance.
- I can’t picture driving the same car over 10 years.
- It makes dealing with depreciation mcouch more palatable.
It’s interesting to see YouTube celebrities talk about their (used) Lamborghini Gallardo or Dodge Charger Hellcat, err I mean Corvette z06. Those cars are 2.5-3x more expensive than mine. Not a hater but it’s a big mindset shift. For some the views they get cover the car note each month. Really makes me want to grab a GoPro or other camera secondhan, learn the ropes and start recording. The ideas are a brewing.