Heading to New York for a week this month. Decided I needed a break. Including interest I have paid over $13k toward my student loan balance in the past year.
- I bought an iPad Mini 2 for $199 plus tax. Best deal I could get over the last 5 years.
- Paid $280 to fly to New York to see my friends and family. I haven’t been there since June of 2014, almost 18 months ago.
- Paid $208 for a week long car rental. My folks were generous enough to give me $90 toward it. They also weren’t up for driving and dealing with traffic to and from the airport.
- Paid an extra $100 in principal to Navient last week.
- Did a massive cleanup of my apartment. My computer hardware is no longer in my dining room and it feels quite liberating. Not to mention throwing things away that I no longer use…
- Clothes shopping – Spent close to $200 on some new clothes and a pair of shoes. After some pretty steep discounts. Feet have literally been in pain for weeks.
- Looked through my paperwork and realized that by waiting on full amount of the WARN settlement money to come in the mail rather than working through a letter from a lawyer I missed out on about $400. Verdict is still out on getting back lost wages.
There have been even more changes at my company. New VPs, managers, new C-level executives, rumors of more layoffs. Guy I worked with pretty closely is also no longer at my company. I would talk to him at least 2-3 times a week. All of a sudden, boom. Still unsure about whether I will be promoted. Think I need to take things into my own hands regarding my destiny. My leaders are nice and knowledgable but their sense of urgency for me is simply not there. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me…
Investing in myself is the only way I am going to get anywhere. I go back and forth about how exactly to pursue that. Think programming makes sense as a next step. Or at the very least something more technical than what I am doing now.